Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Liner Notes - Ray Wylie Hubbard - Enlightenment B. Endarkenment (Hint: There Is No C)

The last several weeks have been great fun from a music perspective. This album blows me away. Enlightenment B. Endarkenment (Hint: There Is No C) by Ray Wylie Hubbard is just outstanding. It’ll likely be the album of the year and perhaps the decade. I’ll put the grade right up front. A I don’t grade easy either.

You can hear both Muddy Waters and Jack Daniels in his music. He has some of the rough edges that make me a fan of Lucinda Williams and a casual, a little sloppy - right on the edge of losing control manner that reminds me of the Stones at their best. This is a classic album, good enough to make me think Austin should be allowed to remain with the rest of the country when Texas secedes.